Ingredients for Making Chicken Paprikash
- Large onion 1 piece
- Chicken Thighs 500 grams
- Sour cream 20% fat 250-300 grams
- Bulgarian green pepper large size 1 piece
- Ground paprika spice 4 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Fresh tomatoes 200 grams
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Purified water 400-500 milliliters
- Main ingredients: Pepper, Chicken, Sour cream
- Serving 4 servings
- World cuisineAustrian cuisine
Cutting board, Knife, Plate - 4 pieces, Deep pan or deep cauldron with a thick bottom, Lid for a pan or cauldron, Cooker, Tablespoon, Teaspoon, Wooden spatula, Serving dish, Fork
Cooking chicken paprikash:
Step 1: prepare the onion.
Using a knife, peel the onion from the husk and after - put it on a cutting board. Finely chop the vegetable into squares and transfer to a free plate.
Step 2: prepare bell peppers.
We rinse the bell pepper under running water and put it on a cutting board. Using a knife, cut the stalk from the vegetable, then remove the seeds and again slightly rinse the pepper to wash off the rest of the seeds. Again, lay it on a cutting board and cut it lengthwise into two halves. Each half is cut into several pieces along and then chopped pepper into small pieces across. Shake the finely chopped vegetable in a clean plate.
Step 3: prepare the tomatoes.
We wash the tomatoes under running water and put them on a cutting board. Using a knife, we cut off the place where the tail was attached. After that, cut the vegetable into two halves and then - each part is cut into several more parts. Shredded tomato is transferred to a free plate.
Step 4: prepare the chicken thighs.
First of all, we wash the chicken thighs under running warm water and put them in a free plate.
Step 5: prepare the chicken paprikash.
Pour a small amount of vegetable oil into a deep frying pan or into a cauldron and place the container on medium heat. When the oil warms up well, pour the chopped onion into the dishes. Mix everything well with a wooden spatula and fry the vegetable for 5-10 minutes until it becomes soft and acquires a delicate golden color. Attention: From time to time, do not forget to mix everything with improvised inventory so that the onion does not burn.
After the allotted time, pour the ground paprika into the container and again mix everything well until smooth. We make the fire less than average and continue to extinguish the components for another 5-10 minutes.
Immediately after that we pour into the container 100-150 milliliters of purified water, mix everything well and simmer the frying under the lid for 10 minutes.
Now open the lid of the cauldron or pan, put the chopped bell pepper and tomatoes into the bowl, add the chicken thighs and fill with the remaining purified water. Gently mix everything using a wooden spatula and cook the dish under the lid for 20-30 minutes. Important: from time to time it is necessary to remove the lid of the container and mix everything with improvised equipment so that the meat is stewed from all sides evenly.
When the chicken is well cooked from all sides, remove the lid from the cauldron and transfer the meat with a fork to a free plate.
In the container itself, add sour cream, salt the dish to taste and mix everything well until uniform with improvised inventory.
Then, carefully, so as not to get burned, put the chicken thighs back into the cauldron, mix everything again, cover with a lid and continue to stew the dish for another 10-15 minutes. During this period of time, the meat absorbs all the juices, becomes soft and tender, with a milky flavor and spicy pungency. Everything, the dish is ready! Attention: chicken paprikash is considered ready when the meat easily moves away from the bone. Therefore, before turning off the burner, it will be necessary to check the degree of readiness of the chicken with a fork or knife.
Step 6: serve chicken paprikash.
Such chicken is supposed to be served with pickles and always with pasta or dumplings, which are also cooked in parallel, when paprikash. Immediately after cooking, spread the dish with a tablespoon on a flat plate and serve it. Be sure to garnish and pour the meat itself with vegetable dressing.
- Chicken paprikash can be prepared not only from chicken thighs, but also from chicken, chopped chicken, or just drumsticks. In addition to chicken, it is often added to the dish, as the main ingredient, beef, veal, lamb, and even pork.
- As spices to the finished chicken paprikash, red and black ground pepper is served to give the dish a special poignancy.
- For cooking, it is best to use a container with high sides and a thick bottom, so that during the stewing process the juice of vegetables does not splash onto the stove.
- If you like slices of fresh vegetables in dishes, then first you need to stew the onions, then add the chicken and pour everything with water so that the meat is well cooked, and at the end, add the chopped onions and tomatoes 10-15 minutes before making chicken paprikash. Mix everything lightly with a wooden spatula and simmer everything without a lid.
- For cooking, it is best to use broiler chicken meat, as it is more tender and cooks faster, unlike domestic chicken.
- Before preparing chicken paprikash, you can fry the chicken thighs in vegetable oil from all sides to a golden crust, and then put them aside. Stew vegetables in the same oil and subsequently cook the dish.