Ingredients for making fish hodgepodge
- Salmon 1200 grams
- Lemon 1 piece
- Fresh red medium-sized tomato 5-6 pieces
- Capers 40 grams
- Black olives 100 grams
- Small onions 3 pieces
- Small carrots 2-3 pieces
- Allspice 5 peas
- Salt 1.5 teaspoons
- Dried bay leaves 2 pieces
- Parsley to taste
- Vegetable oil 40 milliliters
- Purified water 3-3.5 liters
- Main Ingredients
- Serving 5 servings
Inventory:Two large pots, Cutting board, Knife, Deep bowl, Skimmer, Stove, Gauze, Flat plate, Frying pan, Fork, Wooden spatula
Cooking hodgepodge fish:
Step 1: Cut the fish.As for the fish! It’s not necessary to take salmon. Fresh sterlet, pelengas or sturgeon are perfect for this dish. It’s better to take whole fish with your head in order to make our broth more rich. So, we wash the salmon under running water and on a cutting board with a knife we separate the fillet from the skin, bones, fins and head. We lay the fish fillet in a bowl, and transfer everything else to a deep pan.
Step 2: prepare the vegetables.With a knife, peel all carrots and peel one onion from the husk. After we wash the vegetables under running water and put them aside on a flat plate.
Step 3: the first step in preparing the broth.So, after we have cut the salmon, we pour purified cold water into the pan and bring all the contents to a boil over high heat. Important: constantly remove the foam on the surface of the fish broth with a slotted spoon until it disappears completely.
Step 4: the second stage of cooking the broth.After we have removed all the foam, put the peeled carrots, onions and spices: bay leaf and allspice in the pan to the broth. Seasonings will give our fish hodgepodge a pleasant delicate aroma. And now we reduce the heat and cook the broth yet 1 hour.
Step 5: the third stage of cooking the broth.And now the final stage in the preparation of the aromatic liquid of our soup! Take the second deep pan. On top of it we place a wide gauze folded several times so that it completely covers the pan. Now with a fork or slotted spoon lay out the entire contents of the broth. We no longer need parts of fish and vegetables. Therefore, with a calm soul, we throw it all away or give it to cats for eating. And now gently filter the broth (in a small stream) through cheesecloth to another pan. If you are worried that the gauze fabric may not withstand the pressure of the broth, and it is inconvenient to hold it with your hands, then you can fix the gauze along the edges with ordinary clothespins.
Step 6: prepare the onion.We have two more onion heads left. Therefore, we peel them with a knife from the husk, rinse well under cold running water and cut into thin half rings on a cutting board. In the meantime, we are already heating the vegetable oil in a pan! Put the onions in a frying pan and pass it to transparencystirring constantly with a wooden spatula.
Step 7: add other vegetables to the pan.After the onion has already become transparent, add chopped fresh tomatoes and capers to it and cook our vegetables 5 minutesstirring constantly with a spatula. By the way, I usually peel tomatoes, since during the preparation process it is folded into small pieces-tubes and interferes with enjoying the dish. And for this it is necessary to pour tomatoes with boiling water and leave in a deep bowl for 5 minutes. After this time, the skin can be easily tucked with a knife and removed without much difficulty. As for capers? In fact, these are the unblown buds of the caper bush, whose homeland is the Mediterranean and Central Asia. These buds have a very delicate and pleasant aroma with a sour-salty flavor and a slightly tart and island flavor. Capers are very tasty and great for our dish!
Step 8: prepare the salmon filet.On a cutting board with a knife, cut the fillet into small cubes, approximately 1.5 by 1.5 centimeters in size.
Step 9: prepare a fish solyanka.We have practically cooked our main course. We spread the passivated vegetables into a pan with strained broth, bring everything to a boil over high heat. Then make a medium heat and cook our dish 15 minutes and only then put slices of salmon in the soup mixture. Then prepare the hodgepodge 5 more minutes. In the end, salt.
Step 10: serve fish solyanka.Turn off the heat and add the olives to the soup. We cover the pan with a lid and let it brew. 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, on a cutting board we cut a lemon into slices with a knife and chop the parsley to the size you like. When we pour the Solyanka fish in portions, decorate the dish with a slice of lemon and sprinkle the surface of the soup with herbs. Good appetite!
- - If you decide to make a hodgepodge of sterlet or sturgeon, then you need to remove the offal, fins, tail and head from the fish. Then separate the fillet from the ridge, and prepare the broth with the addition of any small fish that does not emit a strong smell during the cooking process.
- - It is very important to choose the right salmon. First of all, we pay attention to such features as a shiny and smooth cover of fish, the meat should be dense and elastic, and the smell should be pleasant, the eyes of the salmon should be transparent. Therefore, if you see any differences, be careful! Since you can not only spend "money down the drain", but also spoil the Solyanka fish.
- - If you decide to cook a dish of fresh-frozen salmon, then you must adhere to some rules for defrosting. To begin with, we transfer the fish from the freezer to the usual refrigerator chamber and hold the salmon until it becomes soft to the touch. This takes one to two days. In no case should you defrost fish in hot water, as this will ruin the taste and, salmon will lose its beneficial properties.
- - To properly cut the salmon, for a start we need to rinse it in cool water, and then wipe it dry with a paper towel. After we separate the head, the gills, while capturing a little fish meat. And now, to gently separate the fillet, we take a long, wide knife (the length is longer than the distance from the abdomen of the fish to the back). And now we cut the salmon along the spine into two pieces. It turns out one filet with a spine, and the other without. The spine is carefully cut with a knife and now, with tweezers, we get the bones from each filet. To do this, carefully feel the fingers in the flesh of the fish with our fingers, clamp them with a tool and sharply remove from the meat.